[governance] ISPs, PTA lock horns over illegal VoIP

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Fri Jun 19 10:23:51 EDT 2009

Milton L Mueller wrote:
> Why does your government make VoIP illegal to begin with? VoIP has the ability to save internet and telecom users hundreds of dollars a year. It is nothing more than a software application. I suppose the politicians who support these bans are the same ones asking for international development funds to combat the digital divide...

You know the reason. Many governments in the developing or transitional
countries have at various points imposed restrictions on the grounds
that it bleeds revenue from the dominant incumbent carriers' PSTNs and
undermines their control. I don't have current information at hand
(would appreciate pointers from anyone who does) but back in 2001, when
the ITU did a World Telecom Policy Forum on IP telephony, staff did a SG
report that included the tables below (cut and paste from a Word doc,
apologies if they get garbled). I seem to remember hearing higher
numbers back then, like that > 50 countries had significant or total
prohibitions, but my memory is fuzzy, don't know about now.

I guess this is why I don't clean all the old gunk off my computer, you
never know when you might want something obscure...

Bill

Table B.1: Countries that include IP Telephony (i.e. voice and fax over
_both_ the Internet and IP-based networks) within their regulatory
system or that do not specifically regulate IP Telephony

*/No specific prohibition for voice/fax over the Public Internet or over
IP-based networks/*

*/Permitted or not regulated, if not real-time/*/ (not considered voice
telephony)/

*/Permitted. If real-time, subject to light conditions
/*/(notification/registration may be required, other basic provisions of
voice regulation)/

*/Permitted. If real-time, treated similarly to other voice
telecommunications services/*/ (licensable, subject to more extensive
provisions of voice regulation)/

*Angola** *

*Antigua** and Barbuda**^1 *

*Argentina***

*Bhutan***

*Congo***

*Costa Rica***

*Dominican Republic***

*Estonia**^2 ***

*Gambia***

*Guatemala***

*Guyana***

*Madagascar***

*Malta***

*Mexico***

*Mongolia**^2 ***

*Nepal***

*New Zealand***

*Peru**^6 ***

*Poland***

*Slovak** Republic***

*St Lucia**^1 *

*St Vincent**^3 ***

*Tonga***

*Uganda***

*United States**^4 ***

*Viet Nam***

*EU Countries**^5 ***

*Hungary***

(if delay =/>250ms and packet loss >1%)

*Iceland***

*Norway***

*Czech** Republic* *Hongkong SAR*

*Japan***

*Singapore***

*Switzerland***

* *

*Australia** *

*Canada***

*China***

*Israel***

*Korea** (Rep.)*

*Malaysia***

*Morocco***

/Notes/: Depending on whether or not speech transmission is “real-time”,
normal voice regulation may apply to varying degrees. Regulatory
information on the real-time nature of the service is not available for
all countries.

*^1 * In Antigua & Barbuda and St Lucia, the use of the public Internet
is not prohibited for voice and fax, but no data is available on the use
of IP-based networks for these services.

*^2 *In Estonia, both domestic and international phone calls over
IP-based networks were prohibited until Dec. 31, 2000. Public IP
Telephony was also prohibited until 31 Dec 2000. In Mongolia,
international telephone calls over the public Internet were prohibited
until Dec. 31, 2000.

^3 In St Vincent, the use of IP-based networks is not prohibited, but no
data is available regarding the use of the public Internet for voice and
fax services

^4* * The United States permits IP Telephony unconditionally, i.e. it is
exempt from the international settlements regime.

*^5 *The 15 countries of the European Union are Austria, Belgium,
Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg,
the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.

*^6 * 1n Peru, licensees (national, international and long-distance
service providers) can use any technology, including IP. However, for
value-added service providers, real-time voice over IP is not permitted.

/Source: / This table is based on the ITU 2000 Regulatory Survey and ITU
case studies. Changes or clarifications to this table that were
submitted by Member States in the context of WTPF-01 have been noted.

Table B.2: Countries that permit voice/fax services over _either_ the
Public Internet _or_ IP-based networks (but not both)

*/Country/*

*/Use of the Public Internet/*

*/Use of IP-based networks/*

*/ /*

*Cyprus***

* *

*Prohibited*

*Not prohibited*

*Ethiopia***

* *

*Prohibited*

*Not prohibited*

*Ecuador***

*Not prohibited*

(Telephony over Internet is permitted in applications through end user
software and/or end user terminals)**

* *

*India***

*Prohibited*

*Not prohibited*

*Kenya***

* *

*Prohibited*

(voice services; includes call-back and refile)

*Not prohibited*

*Kyrgyzstan***

* *

*Not prohibited*

* *

*Prohibited*

(IP Telephony until 2003)

*Philippines***

* *

*Prohibited*

* *

*Not prohibited*

*Sri Lanka***

* *

*Not prohibited*

*Prohibited*

(voice services)

/ /

/Source: /This table is based on the ITU 2000 Regulatory Survey. Changes
or clarifications that were submitted by Member States in the context of
WTPF-01 have been noted.

*
*

Table B.3: Countries that prohibit the use of _both_ the Public Internet
_and_ IP-based networks for voice or fax services

*/Countries /*

*/ Specifics given/*

*Albania***

Voice services over IP-based networks prohibited until 2003

*Azerbaijan***

*Belize***

All services prohibited

*Botswana***

Voice prohibited over the public Internet

*Cambodia***

Voice prohibited indefinitely

*Cameroon***

Telephony prohibited over the public Internet;

Telephony and Fax prohibited over IP-based networks

*Côte d’Ivoire***

Voice prohibited over the public Internet until 2004

*Croatia***

*Cuba***

Telephony prohibited over the public Internet and IP networks

Telephony over public networks based on IP allowed for the licensed
voice operator

*Eritrea***

Voice is prohibited for some years to come (both over the public
Internet and IP-based networks)

*Ethiopia***

Voice and fax services prohibited over both the Public Internet and
IP-based networks

*Gabon***

Telephony prohibited (both over the public Internet and IP-based networks)

*Indonesia***

Telephony prohibited over the public Internet. Regulation now under
preparationo allow voice over IP-based networks

*India***

India prohibits the use of voice services over the public Internet, but
did not respond to the question relating to IP-based networks

*Israel***

Telephony prohibited over the public Internet

Both voice and fax prohibited over IP-based networks

*Jordan***

Voice prohibited over the public Internet. Voice and fax services
prohibited over IP-based networks until the end of 2004

*Latvia***

*Lithuania***

Voice prohibited over both the public Internet and IP-based networks
until Dec. 31, 2002

*Mozambique***

Voice and Fax services prohibited over both the public Internet and
IP-based networks

*Myanmar***

*Nicaragua***

Voice services prohibited over both the public Internet and IP-based
networks

*Nigeria***

Voice and fax prohibited over IP-based networks at this time

*Pakistan***

Voice termination services prohibited over the public Internet

Voice prohibited over IP-based networks

*Paraguay***

Voice services prohibited over both the public Internet and IP-based
networks

*Qatar***

Telephony and Fax prohibited over both the public Internet and IP-based
networks, subject to review

*Romania***

Voice services prohibited over the public Internet

Voice services prohibited until at least Jan. 1, 2003

*Senegal***

Telephony prohibited over the public Internet

*Seychelles***

Voice and fax over the public Internet are prohibited, but Internet
Telephony, which is an Internet application rather than a
telecommunication service, provided by an ISP is permitted. All services
over IP-based networks are prohibited.

*Swaziland***

*Thailand***

Voice and fax services prohibited over both the public Internet and
IP-based networks

*Togo***

*Trinidad and Tobago***

Voice services prohibited over IP-based networks

*Tunisia***

*Turkey***

Voice prohibited over both the public Internet and IP-based networks

     governance at lists.cpsr.org