[governance] EC on IG

Willie Currie wcurrie at apc.org
Thu Jun 18 17:24:11 EDT 2009

Hi Bill

Two other issues also seem pertinent: one is the security argument
underpinning the the EU
argument for external accountability by governments which is an echo of
the 'cybersecurity' agenda in the US:

'Internet usage and penetration is now so high, especially in developed
countries
such as those of the EU, that it has become a critical resource, where
any serious disruption
in service can have potentially catastrophic effects on society and the
economy....Most Internet
users in the EU therefore have a legitimate expectation about the
reliability of
‘their Internet’. Users will also inevitably turn to their governments
if there is any major
national disruption to their Internet service, and not to the various
Internet governance
bodies responsible for coordinating resources.'

The USG may well draw the conclusion that the JPA should be extended  if
the private sector
submissions to the NTIA inquiry carry the day in combination with the
Congress' anxieties about cybersecurity.

The second is the competition issue where the EU says:

'the self-regulatory approach as practised by ICANN means that
incumbent operators play a potentially inappropriate role (e.g. from the
standpoint of
competition policy) in setting entry conditions for new competitors'.

So it looks like a return to the 'enhanced cooperation' agenda by the EU
on which they
have been silent about since Tunis. Will the USG go with this approach?
I can't see it.
The NTIA inquiry has exposed ICANN's vulnerability regarding
accountability, in a way the
ICANN President's Strategy Committee didn't fully forsee. They seemed to
under-estimate
the nature of US politics and the strong negative reaction of the
private sector.

Perhaps USG will surprise us all by looking towards a multi-stakeholder
process to resolving
ICANN's external accountability problem. Can't we come up with a
concrete proposal in this regard?

Willie

     governance at lists.cpsr.org