[governance] DoC/ICANN induced Localization Balkanization

Yehuda Katz yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Wed Jun 17 09:09:08 EDT 2009

>Soon, without tremendous
streamlining and cutting of costly bureaucratic regulation and extensive
milking of their historical position granted by the DOC through the JPA,
ICANN will more quickly be recognized as just another option for getting
a TLD live in the "Inclusive Name-Space" in which all the other root
systems work for market share, ...

Is the issue really that the DoC/Icann JPA 'policy' that forces a kind of
Localization?
That China's dns-version creates a Balkanization in the Icann scheama (and
perhapes Yours)?

Does this 'policy' create a censorship upon the Technolgy and Wider
DNS-Spectrum (e.g.: the "Inclusive Name-Space"}? or not.

Tell me...?
---
Some time ago: Ref.
http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/2005-07/msg00105.html

Re: Enable BIND cache server to resolve chinese domain name?
From: Tony Finch
Date: Mon Jul 04 08:47:30 2005

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

> They are battling it out in the marketplace and one of the IDN solutions
> will evolve to the point where the market considers it clearly superior.
> This may be the IETF-blessed solution and it may not. One only has to
> browse through the RFC archives to see that RFC status is no guarantee
> that something will be widely adopted.
>
> Personally, I think that the Internet is too young and we have too
> little experience with multilingual naming to engineer an
> Internationalised Domain Naming solution that solves the problem once
> and for all. This means that we should be ready for more than one
> iteration to get to the solution.

We should be careful to distinguish between i18n and localization. These
private alternative DNS roots are specific to a particular set of users,
so they implement DNS l10n which is not appropriate for a system that is
supposed to be international. Slogan: Localization is Balkanization.

Tony.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org