[governance] 300 million people have spoken with one voice "WE DON'T NEED ICANN"

Joe Baptista baptista at publicroot.org
Tue Jun 16 12:29:37 EDT 2009

When I see ICANN supporters introduce the misguided argument on the "REAL"
root I know were making progress.

So - who here can see the Chinese National TLD system?  Who can surf to
Peking University at its official web site address used extensively in china

http://北京大学.中国/ <http://xn--1lq90ic7fzpc.xn--fiqs8s/>

The above URL works for me.  Is there any other person here on the
governance or atlarge lists who can surf to that working URL?

I very proud of the Chines government.  They took charge of their internet.
They made it their business to understand the technology.  While other
governments helped ICANN build a bureaucracy - the Chinese gave them the
finger.  Thats three hundred million fingers people.

The TLD system in China was established as far back as 2003 with the
assistance of i-dns - which also runs a root seen in most of Asia and
developed a good portion of the tecnology used for IDN.  ICANN had nothing
to do with it.

ICANN is a fools paradise.  No one is happy with ICANN.  I recommend
governments don't end up dependent on ICANN.  If you want secure
infrastructure - NATIONALIZE YOUR ROOT. Create your own TLD infrastructure
that owes no allegiance to ICANN or the U.S. government.

That was my advice to the DOC.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/comments/2009/dnstransition/060.pdf

If its good for China and America - it's good for you countries people too.

regards
joe baptista

--
Joe Baptista

www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium
The future of the Internet is Open, Transparent, Inclusive, Representative &
Accountable to the Internet community @large.
 Office: +1 (360) 526-6077 (extension 052)
    Fax: +1 (509) 479-0084

Personal: www.joebaptista.wordpress.com