[governance]

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Jun 11 04:41:32 EDT 2009

Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> On 11/06/2009, at 1:59 PM, Parminder wrote:
>
>> Apologies for wrong posting
>>
>> meant for internal work on a presentation
>
> Interesting though; can you post a link to the presentation when
> you're done?
Jeremy, I have responded offlist, but seeing that there indeed is a
connection to the industry-led governance model that we have been
discussing, I will give the complete quote of Lawrence Lessig preceding
the one which I sent earlier.

"But I think one big problem here is imagining companies as the leaders
in public policymaking. You know, companies are in the business of
making money. And if we begin to imagine a world where we trust
companies to do good public policy, then we're fools, because they'll do
good public policy when it makes sense for them from a financial
perspective to do it, but when it doesn't make sense for them from a
financial perspective to do it, they won't."

What he says is simple and generally universally accepted. Adam Smith
said long ago. " People of the same trade seldom meet together... but
the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public". What does it
say about industry-led 'regulatory systems'.

However the fact that such simple truths have to be re-asserted, but
still ignored by many, speaks of the new forms of power that big
corporations increasingly have to change our frames of thought and
action, in some very basic and oft hidden ways. It becomes difficult to
separate which actors, willy nilly, become agents of such new forms of
dominations, but an introspection on this issue may be useful.

parminder