[governance] Re: IGF Review Statement for Consensus

Ginger Paque gpaque at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 21:15:29 EDT 2009

Garth, thank you for repeating your statement. I interpret silence of
response on the list as lack of time or interest for a particular issue.
If there are thoughts, comments or opinions, I think we need to read them.

If I understand correctly, Garth proposes that we add text so that the
current statement now reads as follows below. I think that this would
need re-working to be more coherent as a whole, and tied to the IGF
Review process, so please do post your suggestions.

Garth, do you think your point of "moving beyond" the definition of
Internet Governance could fit into one of the panels or sessions? It
seems to be a specific topic that could be addressed. Can we make a
concrete request to the Secretariat on how to address this?  We need to
hear other thoughts to clarify if this is a viewpoint that is held by
most of those in the IGC.  Thanks. Ginger

The proposed draft:

The UN WSIS Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) has been
actively engaged with the UN Internet Governance Forum, the outcome of
the UN WSIS global negotiation, from its beginning and commends the UN
Internet Governance Forum (IGF) on its implementation of the principle
of multistakeholderism from 2006 until the present. The IGC is firmly of
the view that the IGF should continue, and congratulates the Secretariat
for its work to date.

The IGC believes that the IGF has raised the awareness of both narrow
and broad Internet Governance issues among those stakeholders involved
in the GF process, by providing workshops and dialogues based on the
multistakeholder principle. We feel however, that from the perspective
of civil society, this principle has not yet been fully implemented
since many of those with an active, even a crucial interest in the
health and deployment of the Internet have for a variety of reasons not
been engaged in this process. The IGC is concerned about the lack of
participation by a broader base of possible stakeholders and the
inclusion of the issues that they might be concerned to see addressed.

We are also seriously concerned about the new proposal to create an
exclusively intergovernmental forum driven by decisions instead of
discussion, particularly given the success of the multistakeholder
organization thus far.

Since the value and effectiveness of the IGF are obvious, with
near-unanimous response that it should continue, we believe that the
review should focus on addressing the issue of more inclusive
participation.

[We would also like to emphasize] The need to continue discussion that
evolves and deepens understanding of basic assumptions concerning
Internet Governance, particularly the “Internet model” of Internet
Governance.

Given the value of the Internet in sustaining connection, integration
and interdependencies in the conduct of human affairs, we believe that
the discussion must eventually move beyond the WGIG definition of
Internet governance to something more open.  Rather than a matter
negotiated among governments, the private sector and civil society, “in
their respective roles,”  if roles and identities are agreed to be
self-determined then the definition must become: "The development and
application by ANYONE of shared principles, norms, rules,
decision-making procedures, and programmes that shape the evolution and
use of the Internet."

     governance at lists.cpsr.org