[governance] JPA

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jun 8 00:30:29 EDT 2009

Anriette Esterhuysen wrote:
> Thanks for sending this Parminder.
>
> When you talk about the 'UN system' entering into an agreement with the
> US and ICANN, which part of it did you have in mind?

Anriette

This has deliberately been kept vague so that a range of options remain
open. It is clear to us that whether it is an external oversight or
accountability framework, it can only be mediated through a UN body.
With all our problems with the UN, it is still the only legitimate
global governance system. After all the human rights framework is also
UN. We were afraid that mentioning any particular body now would shift
the debate to the merits of that particular body doing this. At present
the issue is for the US gov to accept to commit itself to move towards
legitimate multilateralism in the spirit of WSIS documents. Once such
political will is established, the right way forward can always be
figured out. We do expect the US to do some hard bargaining and keep
some/ considerable leverage on how things move forward.

I think it has to be some place in the ECOSOC; am not too good on this
kind of stuff. UN SG's office do not have the substantive capacity I
think, or may be I am wrong.  However, I am very sure it cannot and
should not be the ITU. ITU is not based on core democratic principles of
broad public interest governance, and its structures are more like a
standards body, which it was supposed to be. Also it is important to
appreciate that we are not talking about replacing ICANN, in which case
ITU may figure, but about political oversight of ICANN, which has to be
much broader but less busy public policy/ governance system. ICANN, with
due modifications, should keep doing the technical management functions
it does at present.

regards

parminder