[governance] Workshop 197 - Network Neutrality - Exploring a global consensus on principles

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sun Jun 7 18:23:50 EDT 2009

Again we should try to improve this by June 15 and also establish a small
working group to run this workshop.

Details of our previous submission are below. Ive suggested in a separate
message we merge with Diplo workshop on the same subject. Ginger will
approach them

We  have some suggestions for potential partners/speakers on this below. Can
we have a few volunteers to be the organising group? Either onlist or
offlist, whichever you prefer

Current proposal is below.

Title: Network Neutrality - Exploring a global consensus on principles

Concise Description:
There is an increasing recognition of the urgency to develop some kind of NN
principles in order to preserve the open and democratic nature of the
Internet, and safeguard the interest of Internet users and others affected
by it. This workshop will explore recent efforts to articulate and agree on
NN principles in Europe, Japan, the U.S. and developing countries. While
proceeding from numerous national regulatory developments, it will try to
assess the transnational implications of various approaches to NN,
especially vis a vis developing countries who seem largely absent from NN
debates.

Which of the five broad IGF Themes or the Cross-Cutting Priorities does your
workshop fall under?
Openness

Have you organized an IGF workshop before? Yes
If so, please provide the link to the report:
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/index.php/2008-igf-hyderabad/event-reports/72
-workshops/392-workshop-85-the-transboundary-internet-jurisdiction-control-a
nd-sovereignty

Would you be the Workshop organizer? Yes
If so, who would you approach as co-organizers ? If not, who do you think
should organize it?
Internet Governance Project (IGP) is happy to play a support role in
organizing this. Others we would approach: Free Press (USA-based civil
society advocacy group); Consumer Council of Norway; ITforChange
(India-based civil society advocacy group), Japan Internet Providers
Association and Ministry of Communications. There are other specific
countries or examples that are involved in such negotiations over principles
that we don't know about yet but will learn about later. We will seek out
additional developing country commentators in particular.

The Workshop is proposed on behalf of:Internet Governance Caucus

Contact Person: Ian Peter