[governance] ICT4D resources

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 11:40:31 EDT 2009

Hi,

You might find this useful in some way:

Impact Assessment of ICT-for-Development Projects: A Compendium of Approaches
http://www.sed.manchester.ac.uk/idpm/research/publications/wp/di/di_wp36.htm
Richard Heeks & Alemayehu Molla

Abstract

Billions of US dollars are invested each year by the public, NGO and
private sectors in
information-and-communication-technologies-for-development (ICT4D)
projects such as telecentres, village phone schemes, e-health and
e-education projects, e-government kiosks, etc.

Yet we have very little sense of the effect of that investment.  Put
simply, there is far too little impact assessment of ICT4D projects.

In part that reflects a lack of political will and motivation.  But in
part it also reflects a lack of knowledge about how to undertake
impact assessment of ICT4D.

This Compendium aims to address that lack of knowledge.  It presents a
set of frameworks that can be used by ICT4D practitioners,
policy-makers and consultants to understand the impact of informatics
initiatives in developing countries.

The Compendium is arranged into three parts:

    * Overview – explains the basis for understanding impact
assessment of ICT4D projects, and the different assessment frameworks
that can be used.
    * Frameworks – summarises a series of impact assessment
frameworks, each one drawing from a different perspective.
    * Bibliography – a tabular summary of real-world examples of ICT4D
impact assessment.

--
Cheers,

McTim