[governance] CSTD

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed Jun 3 10:47:30 EDT 2009

Adam,

On May 29, 2009, at 4:47 PM, Adam Peake wrote:

> At 2:39 PM +0200 5/29/09, William Drake wrote:
>>

>> Among whom would the binding conditions be agreed?  In what form?
>> How would their implementation be monitored and assessed?  What
>> consequences would flow from failure to implement?  And so
>> on...we're not going to get consensus on a statement that's based
>> on abstractions and leaps of faith.  What's really needed is some
>> serious brainstorming on 3.0 architectural options that are
>> responsive to what goes on within the organization and to the
>> growing intergovernmental machinations outside of it (witness this
>> week's CSTD meeting etc).
>

> What machinations were these?  Could you summarize?

I never responded to you as Anriette promptly sent an update on CSTD,
but there was a lot of maneuvering among the usual governments to
establish that enhanced cooperation is a preeminently if not entirely
intergovernmental affair, in which the ITU is playing a lead role; and
to downplay if not diss the contributions of the IGF and the arguments
for its extension.  Anriette, Guru and Bertrand sat through more of
these sessions than I and could provide more detail.

I just received from the secretariat the final resolution (well, it's
a 'draft' until adopted by ECOSOC I guess) on "Assessment of the
progress made in the implementation of and follow-up to the outcomes
of the World Summit on the Information Society."  Not as bad as it
could have been, thanks to friendlies and fellow travelers who pushed
back.  A few highlights:

ECOSOC

14.  Reaffirms the principles enunciated in the WSIS that the Internet
has evolved into a global facility available to the public and its
governance should constitute a core issue of the Information Society
agenda. The international management of the Internet should be
multilateral, transparent and democratic, with the full involvement of
governments, the private sector, civil society and international
organizations. It should ensure an equitable distribution of
resources, facilitate access for all and ensure a stable and secure
functioning of the Internet, taking into account multilingualism;

15. Notes the discussions in the IGF as a multi-stakeholder platform
on public policy issues related to internet governance which were
observed by the UN SG in his report, expresses appreciation for the
work done by the Chair, the Secretariat and the host Governments of
the Internet Governance Forum (IGF), and looks forward to the
convening of the fourth meeting of the IGF in Egypt; [no positive
adjectives but no negatives either]

16. Encourages all stakeholders to contribute to the online
consultations regarding the “desirability of the continuation” of the
IGF as envisaged in paragraph 76 of the Tunis Agenda and to give
consideration of the stakeholders in under-developed areas that could
not get connected online and urge the UNSG to take all appropriate
measures to consult the stakeholders at a broad basis;

17. Notes that paragraph 80 of the Tunis Agenda refers to development
of multi-stakeholder processes at the national, regional and
international levels; [good this was inserted]

18. Recognizes the contribution of WTSA08 towards enhanced
cooperation; [ ITU gets only the specific mention as contributing to EC]

19.  Notes the conclusion of the UNSG on the basis of performance
reports from 10 organizations relevant to Internet Governance, that
while the efforts made varied in nature between the different
organizations, the performance reports suggest that the Tunis Agenda's
call for enhanced cooperation has been taken seriously by these
organizations, and requests the Secretary General to report to ECOSOC
through CSTD on the progress towards enhanced cooperation;  [since
these included non-intergovernmentals, the EC as exclusively
intergovernmental premise looks even more odd]

36. Encourages the WSIS action line facilitators to increase their
efforts to include all stakeholders in the facilitation process on
implementing the WSIS action lines and to further enhance the
interactivity of the process;

Anyway, thought I'd share this FYI.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org