[governance] IGF Review Process Consensus Statement]

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 09:25:17 EDT 2009

How's this:

The UN WSIS Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) has been
actively engaged with the UN Internet Governance Forum, the outcome of
the UN WSIS global negotiation, from its beginning and congratulates
the UN Internet Governance Forum (IGF) on its successful
implementation of the principle of mutlistakeholderism from 2006 until
the present.

The IGC believes that the IGF has raised awareness of both narrow and
broad Internet Governance issues among stakeholders involved in the
IGF process by providing workshops and dialogues based on the
mutltistakeholder principle. However, the IGC is concerned about the
lack of participation by the developing world in the IGF and
the counter-proposal to creating an exclusively intergovernmental
forum driven by decisions instead of discussion.

Since the value and effectiveness of the IGF are obvious, with
near-unanimous response that it should continue, we believe that the
review should focus on addressing the issue of more inclusive
participation.

More importantly, the energy not needed in a review of the current
process could be spent in the search for ways to foster more active
inclusion of rarely heard and developing country voices through, but
not limited to, remote participation.

One sentence removed in one para and 2 words gone from another

--
Cheers,

McTim

     governance at lists.cpsr.org