[governance] JPA - final draft for comments

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Mon Jun 1 12:56:55 EDT 2009

Perhaps to clarify?  I believe Milton Mueller is right to note the
absence of external oversight, but not necessarily right in seeking
some other external means to put a different leash on ICANN.  We are,
after all, talking about governance of self-organizing systems, where
the rules about changing the rules are internal to each of the
members of the system.  In what I believe will be continuing absence
of an agreement on a means of external constrain, legal or otherwise,
I was pointing to a mechanism whereby members of the "system" could
remind ICANN effectively of its responsibility to account.  The means
to "challenge" internally exists and provides a basis for dialogue on
future intentions.  And it is always a citizen's responsibility to
remind a governing agency that it is failing to meet its
responsibility, including its responsibility to account.

GG

     governance at lists.cpsr.org