[governance] JPA - final draft for comments

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jun 1 07:42:56 EDT 2009

Milton L Mueller wrote:
> Just to be clear, I do not like the concept or phrasing of external "oversight" because that implies just adding another layer of discretionary judgment and politics -- an organization that, GAC-like, sits on top of ICANN and second-guesses it.
>
> By "external accountability" I and I think most of us in IGP are interested in subjecting ICANN to clear, binding legal rules that constrain ICANN and governments, and create actionable rights for harmed parties.
>
> Do not put faith in a centralized oversight body that can whimsically overrule, dictate or change what ICANN does. That would just serve as a magnet for all the unhealthy politics that already converge on ICANN's Board. It is the legal framework that is the missing link. It is not policy direction that is missing, but lawful constraint.

Milton

Any legal framework requires an institutional anchor/ system, that is
all what is meant by accountability/ oversight mechanism. Should for
instance Californian courts continue to adjudicate ICANN matters? Who
makes and amends the rules/ legal framework you speak about? If we agree
that some new mechanisms are needed here, we are agreeing enough for the
present purpose.

parminder