[governance] JPA - final draft for comments

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Mon Jun 1 06:00:00 EDT 2009

Hi Ian,

from what I remember, we have never discussed the JPA as "a barrier to
effective global co-operation in Internet governance" and I don't think
it is adequate to assume a widespread concern about it. If there is
widespread concern it relates to the unilateral control over CIR. So, I
would prefer if we could skip that paragraph.

>> *Your question 6. *
>>
>> IGC members have differing opinions on this issue, but share a
>> widespread concern that the continued existence of the JPA is actually
>> a barrier to effective global co-operation in Internet governance. As
>> such, it is seen as hindering the levels of global co-operation
>> necessary to ensure the security and stability of the Internet.
>
> This seems a rather broad and bold claim.  What cooperation exactly does
> the JPA preclude?  Does it prevent governments from working in GAC,
> posturing in ITU, fumbling about in the EU...?  If we're going to slap
> NTIA it might be helpful to explain or at least give one example,
> otherwise it might be read as a bit gratuitous.
>
>> Global co-operation will be enhanced by a transition beyond the JPA to
>> a situation where all stakeholders feel that they have equitable
>> arrangements for  participation.  Therefore, all of us believe the JPA
>> should be ended as soon as is practical.
>
>> Some of us believe that time is now, and that the JPA is an
>> ineffective mechanism to deal with the problems that must be resolved
>> as ICANN develops. On the other hand, some of us believe that a short
>> term extension of the JPA might be the most effective means to ensure
>> that ICANN does take on board necessary changes.
>
> Personally, I'd prefer a second sentence like, "Others of us believe
> that the JPA should be retained for now but be replaced as soon feasible
> by a new global, multistakeholder framework for accountability, the
> development of which should commence in early 2010."

I support Bill's suggestion for the second sentence.

>> We believe that, if this extension is pursued, the JPA should in
>> future be reviewed (and extended if necessary) annually.
>
> I'd cut this sentence, the JPA of course would be reviewed, per current
> practice.
>
> [BTW, re: Parminder's message this morning----"I understand that many
> IGC members, from APC, Milton, Jeannette, and I think also Bill,
> expressed views in line with above that there needs to be a clear
> outside accountability/ oversight mechanism"---I at least would not say
> "oversight," which inevitably will be viewed as an authority/command
> relationship that privileges governments, since that's how the term has
> been used in WSIS and ITU.  I don't suspect that the others mentioned
> favor that either.]

I understand your concern but is there any better wording you can think
of that would reflect some form of authority in the accountability
relationship between ICANN and an independent agency?

>> However, irrespective of whether the JPA continues or not, we believe
>> that certain principles and actions outlined below under (7) need to
>> be embedded in ICANN’s operation – either as conditions for immediate
>> cessation or conditions to be met in a short term extension of the JPA.
>
> I think it would be more reflective of the diverse views expressed on
> the list to delete "short term."  We cannot know whether a functional
> accountability framework could actually be concluded by Sept. 2010.

I agree with the deleting of "short term" as well.

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org