[governance] FW: [IP] Shock threat to shut Skype

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 12:57:57 EDT 2009

Essential services.

Certain political theories (namely social justice theories) consider some
services as essential (i.e. providing the service outweighs other concerns,
especially commercial ones). A very common example here is health care. In
the case of such essential services, nationalization may ensure their
continuation regardless of commercial, environmental, or other external
pressures. According to proponents of such theories, these concerns are
surpassed by the positive externalities that are deemed likely to result
from ensuring the service's availability to everyone.

Wikipedia: Public ownership

(the question McTim, wasn't will they shut it down but rather should they be
allowed to and if not who/how would this be prevented...

(As you know commercial considerations quite frequently has led to the
writing off/shutting down of otherwise viable goods/services with
significant commercial potential

(Canada is currently going through something related to that with the likely
destruction of a significant portion of its technology innovation
infrastructure through the dismemberment and selling off of Nortel...There
are very strong pressures on the Canadian government to intervene to prevent
this in support of the public interest...

(Arguably, as a very significant infrastructure for interaction and
communication globally particularly I think for civil society and the
non-corporate sector the loss of Skype could cause significant harm to the
global capacity for social and commercial innovation among other things...

MBG