[governance] IGC statement-questionnaire to the IGF Secretariat

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at orange.fr
Sat Jul 18 03:28:15 EDT 2009

Dear Ginger and all

First, my sincere congratulations for the hard work done by yourself for considering such different opinions and integrating them as far as they were supported by list members.

I particularly appreciated Parminder's comments and proposals for wording, because i.a. he continuously raised the issue of the special needs and therefore for a special effort in all domains with special attention to financing the participation of DC's and LDC's organisations (grass-root included !).

I support the IGC statement, although there are some missings or some weaknesses in the doscument in my opinion.

What I miss particularly are infrastructure and network architecture issues that govern at least the IP packet flows (as such it pertains to the "Internet governance" domain), with a special focus and attention to Africa and -at some extent- to Latin America and Southern Asia-Oceania. The management -that implies also the control- of those flows is another "governance issue" that wasn't sufficiently dealed with. Having said that I'm sure I'll get some critical comments from the "Internet community" (?). So please accept my remarks as coming from a telecoms engineer ... Nobody is perfect !

Another point that is bothering me is the role of multilateralism related to the "global public good" that the Internet is for the large majority of NGOs. In this area the role of the ITU should be more clarified, even if this agency is questionable in a lot of its beheaviour and acting. Multistakerholderism isn't a universal recipe if the CS has no means for being able to be an "equal partner" with the private sector and their lobbies !

These are just some personal concerns I'd like to express before beeing "forced to silence" for medical reasons at least for one month from up the 10th of August.

Once again I thank Ginger for the work done.

All the best
Jean-Louis Fullsack