[governance] Re: IGC Statement -Questionnaire as of July 15 (rights)

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jul 17 00:49:09 EDT 2009

All

I have not been able to figure out at all what is lost by keeping the
rights part here in Q 2 , and also linking it to WSIS principles. I have
already pointed out to the fact there is no precise definition of the
term, and it is open to a range of interpretations, as seen by the
secretariat linking the DoP to this question, as also the discussions in
MAG. Why would we not choose the interpretation that most suits us
today, which also seems to have some official support.

I have argued earlier that if we give up the linkage of rights to WSIS
principles we will be compromising the gains we have made about
inclusion of rights in WSIS agenda, whereby rights are to be discussed
in Sharm in the session on WSIS principles.

Also if the linkage can be built, we can use the IGF mandate, para 72
(i) to assess embodiment of 'WSIS principles' in IG processes to
included assessment of 'rights' in IG processes. The thing we
principally want to do today.

I would want to text to stay as it is, and also where it is, ie Q 2.

To accommodate Bill's concern

I am ready to change the sentence - 'A reading of the WSIS principles
shows repeated mention of rights'

to ' a reading of Geneva declaration of principles shows repeated
mention of rights' ...

parminder