[governance] Should IGF negotiate recommendations? (Re: IGC

Natasha Primo natasha at apc.org
Thu Jul 16 06:45:12 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I had to consult previous APC statements and my colleagues on this as
we've taken different positions on this issue in the past ...
depending on what we regarded as a more strategic intervention.

With respect to this statement, we go with Bill's text   (for the
reasons outlined in the text.)

Thanks!
Natasha

On 16 Jul 2009, at 10:52 AM, Ian Peter wrote:

> Thanks Bill,
>
> My read, given your message, and also the strongly opposing messages
> as regards the text from Jeremy and Parminder, is that we should
> leave the text out altogether. Unless someone has a good compromise
> to suggest in the next hour or two before Ginger submits the final
> version for consensus.
>
> I think its over now to Jeremy and Parminder and others who wont
> accept your text as to whether a text such as yours calling for
> further discussion on the issue is more acceptable than saying
> nothing at all. So let me now put the question the other way –
> should Bills text be included or amended to be acceptable, or do we
> say nothing about recommendations?

> strongly
> have
> believes it
> multistakeholder
> appropriate
> IGF's
>

> On 16/07/09 6:16 PM, "William Drake" <william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Jul 16, 2009, at 8:57 AM, Ian Peter wrote:
>>
>>> Just so my position is clear I am happy with the “may suffer”
>>> compromise, or alternatively with Bill’s text. But as others are
>>> clearly opposed to Bill’s text and it won’t pass consensus, I
>>> will not oppose  “may suffer”. The question now is whether
>>> inclusion with “may suffer” will be accepted in a consensus
>>> statement or whether the whole paragraph should be dropped. My
>>> reading is the paragraph should be in the text unless a a
>>> significant number of people oppose it.
>>
>> Likewise, the text demanding recommendations won't pass consensus.
>> McTim is opposed, and I'm opposed, on procedural more than
>> substantive grounds.  Re: the latter, I'm not convinced that trying
>> to negotiate (yes, that's what would be involved) recs necessarily
>> would turn out to be disaster---it would depend on a whole bunch of
>> unknowns about modalities and focus etc on which open dialogue
>> would be needed to arrive at some clarity.  Equally, I'm not
>> convinced that trying to negotiate recs necessarily would be a
>> panacea for all that ails the IGF, or IG more generally.  But re:
>> the former, I am definitely convinced that we cannot move forward
>> via processes in which one side of a polarized discussion wins by
>> sheer persistence, waving away the other side's views, implying
>> that if people don't agree then they are spineless jellyfish
>> unwilling to stand up for the public interest, etc.
>>
>> How a statement saying caucus members have various views but all
>> want an open dialogue on the matter could be unacceptable is beyond
>> me.  Even for people who want the IGF to be doing recs, I don't
>> think insisting on this ex ante makes tactical sense.  Calling for
>> an open dialogue on the matter would seem more likely to provide a
>> lever to nudge things in the "right" direction (let's see who would
> [...]

\//\\//\/
Natasha Primo
National ICT Policy Advocacy Initiative
Association for Progressive Communications
Johannesburg, South Africa
Tel/Fax: +27118372122
Skype/Yahoo: natashaprimo