[governance] Should IGF negotiate recommendations? (Re: IGC Statement -Questionnaire as of July 15)

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Jul 16 05:17:52 EDT 2009

On 16/07/2009, at 4:16 PM, William Drake wrote:

> How a statement saying caucus members have various views but all
> want an open dialogue on the matter could be unacceptable is beyond
> me.

I explained in my last message, but in brief it gives away more ground
than it needs to, by conceding that recommendations might not be
appropriate in any conceivable circumstances.

Also, it's not even accurate to say that "IGF stakeholders have been
divided as to whether the requirement of appropriateness ever has been
or could be met".  In fact they haven't addressed their minds to this
point at all.  I don't recall anyone ever saying, "Well yes the IGF
could make recommendations, except for this requirement of
appropriateness".  They haven't even gotten to that point - rather
they have harped on the fact that the IGF has no mechanism to produce
recommendations, and implying that no such mechanism is possible
without destroying the IGF as we know it.

So maybe the existing text isn't perfect, but perhaps then anyone who
is opposed to it should suggest how to improve it rather than either
deleting it altogether or replacing it with text that places an
unwarranted shadow over recommendations in any form.

> Likewise, the text demanding recommendations won't pass consensus.
> McTim is opposed,

No he isn't, he said he could live with the existing text after
changing "will suffer" to "may suffer".  So in my view it should be
put to a consensus call as it stands...

--
JEREMY MALCOLM
Project Coordinator

Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM
7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg
TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
Mob: +60 12 282 5895
Fax: +60 3 7726 8599
www.consumersinternational.org

Consumers International (CI) is the only independent global
campaigning voice for consumers. With over 220 member organisations in
115 countries, we are building a powerful international consumer
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere. For more
information, visit www.consumersinternational.org.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org