[governance] Re: IGC questionnaire response to date: complete

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Jul 14 00:15:58 EDT 2009

On 14/07/2009, at 6:32 AM, Ginger Paque wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Please read this draft carefully. As far as I know, we are only
> missing consensus on Shiva's portion of Q6, and the update (from
> Fouad) on Q4. Is that correct? Please opine.

I hope this doesn't come too late.  None of these comments need block
consensus if they are contentious (I hope they are not - none of them
are substantive changes).

> It must however be said that IGF has had considerable success in at
> least three areas
>
> 1.      Getting stakeholders with very different worldviews to begin
> talking with each other, and at least start to see the others point
> of view if not accept it. This is a very important initial step
> because it is widely recognized that IG requires new and different
> governance and policy models than exclusively statist ones.
>
> 2.      Building the capacity on a range of IG issues among many
> newer participants, especially from developing countries with under-
> developed institutional and expertise systems in IG arena.
>
> 3.      Triggering regional and national initiatives for multi-
> stakeholder dialogue on IG, and forming loops of possible
> interactively between the global IGF and these national and regional
> initiatives (IGF-4 is trying this innovation in a relatively formal
> way).
>
> Paragraph 72 of the Tunis Agenda, (a), asks the IGF to: Discuss
> public policy issues related to key elements of Internet governance
> in order to foster the sustainability, robustness, security,
> stability and development of the Internet.

This last paragraph seems out of place here.  I would suggest moving
it up to 1 and prefacing it with "This is in fulfilment of paragraph
72(a) of the Tunis Agenda, which asks...".

> “In building the Information Society, *we shall pay particular
> attention* to the special needs of marginalized and vulnerable
> groups of society, including migrants, internally displaced persons
> and refugees, unemployed and underprivileged people, minorities and
> nomadic people.* *We shall also recognize the special needs of older
> persons and persons with disabilities.” We include for example,
> Indigenous peoples worldwide, people with disabilities, rural people
> and particularly those who are the poorest of the poor and often
> landless or migrants,

Given that examples of the marginalised and vulnerable groups have
already been given, it would make more sense to change the words "for
example" to "in particular" or "also".  Further, we should remove the
second instance of "persons with disabilities".

> There are two aspects to be considered in this regard: a) Present
> IGF participants representing various stakeholder groups are highly
> qualified individuals with diverse accomplishments but it is also
> true that IGF participation needs to be further expanded to include
> more Civil Society participants known for their commitment and
> accomplishments outside the IGF arena on various Civil Society
> causes. And b) The present attendees of the IGF do not represent all
> participant segments and geographic regions. We mention in for
> example: Indigenous peoples worldwide, people with disabilities,
> rural people and particularly those who are the poorest of
> the poor, landless or migrants; those concerned with promoting peer-
> to-peer and open access governance structures built on an electronic
> platform, those looking to alternative modes of Internet governance
> as ways of responding to specific localized opportunities and
> limitations, and those working as practitioners and activists in
> implementing the Internet as a primary resource in support of broad-
> based economic and social development.

This is all repeated from earlier in the submission.  We should
therefore delete from "We mention in for example".

--
JEREMY MALCOLM
Project Coordinator

Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM
7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg
TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
Mob: +60 12 282 5895
Fax: +60 3 7726 8599
www.consumersinternational.org

Consumers International (CI) is the only independent global
campaigning voice for consumers. With over 220 member organisations in
115 countries, we are building a powerful international consumer
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere. For more
information, visit www.consumersinternational.org.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org