[governance] IGC questionnaire Q1 for review

Ginger Paque gpaque at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 10:39:34 EDT 2009

Great text Parminder, Thanks!!! Updated Q1 with Parminder's text, for
comment.

1. To what extent has the IGF addressed the mandate set out for it in
the Tunis Agenda?

The IGF's mandate stipulated by the Tunis Agenda (TA) is specifically
set in its para 72, while the imperatives that led to its creation are
contained in preceding paras of the TA dealing with Internet governance,
and specifically about public policy-making in this area.

In terms of its principal mandate, the IGF seems largely to be on its
way to becoming a unique global forum for multistakeholder dialogue on
IG. However it is important, for this purpose, to keep up evolutionary
innovations that each successive IGF meeting has tried out. To keep up
the interest and engagement of stakeholders it is important that the IGF
take up the most pressing global IG issues and seek a policy dialogue on
them, with the objective of such a dialogue helping processes of real
policy-making in these areas. Overall, IGF's success will be judged from
how much it managed to influence these real policy-making processes. If
this is taken as the central criterion of success, one can say that IGF
is moving towards fulfilling its mandate, but not quite yet there. It
needs to continue to pursue structural evolutions that (1) enable
'effective and purposeful policy dialogue' on 'issues that require most
urgent resolution' and (2) strengthen links with institutions and
processes of real policy making.

In this connection IGF is still to achieve any clear success in the area
of 'facilitating discourse between bodies dealing with different
cross-cutting international public policies regarding the Internet'
(section 72 b) and 'interfacing with appropriate inter-governmental
organisations and other institutions on matters under their purview' (72
c).

IGF has also not been able to make any progress towards fulfilling its
mandate under section 72 e of 'advising all stakeholders in proposing
ways and means to accelerate the availability and affordability of the
Internet in the developing world', and section 72 g of 'identifying
emerging issues, ... and, where appropriate, making recommendations'.

It must however be said that IGF has had considerable success in at
least three areas

1.      Getting stakeholders with very different worldviews to begin
talking with each other, and at least start to see the others point of
view if not accept it. This is a very important initial step because it
is widely recognized that IG requires new and different governance and
policy models than exclusively statist ones.

2.      Building the capacity on a range of IG issues among many newer
participants, especially from developing countries with under-developed
institutional and expertise systems in IG arena.

3.      Triggering regional and national initiatives for
multi-stakeholder dialogue on IG, and forming loops of possible
interactively between the global IGF and these national and regional
initiatives (IGF-4 is trying this innovation in a relatively formal way).

     governance at lists.cpsr.org