[governance] Re: IGC statement/questionnaire Q3

Ginger Paque gpaque at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 08:39:13 EDT 2009

I have tightened and shortened Shiva's proposal for Q3, also taking into
account Ian's and other comments. Please comment.

3. What has the impact of the IGF been in direct or indirect terms? Has
it impacted you or your stakeholder group/institution/government? Has it
acted as a catalyst for change?

The Internet Governance Caucus recognizes an improvement in the level of
discussion between stakeholders since the WSIS process. It is observed
that there is greater collaboration during the IGF phase than during
WSIS, and less confrontation. In the 2009 workshop proposals, due to the
request by the IGF Secretariat to merge proposals, there are panels that
include business, government, academia and civil society working
together and exchanging ideas on various levels.

The impact of the IGF is seen on a deeper level. If the question is
posed differently in order to examine the impact of the IGF on
participants, it can be seen that the participants as individuals or
organizations have gained from the flow of knowledge at the IGF which in
turn gets shared with and influences the respective stakeholder groups.
One might also ask different questions such as "Has your involvement in
IGF increased your knowledge of internet governance?, "Has your
involvement led to meaningful contact with other peers that has assisted
in your work? and "Has your participation in the  multi-stakeholder
process changed or affected your perspective on any particular
governance issues?" to understand additional impact of the IGF.

The Internet Governance Forum is also changing the way other
international policy process and governments perceive civil society
participation in the policy making process. During the preparatory phase
as well as during the first three IGFs, governments have had an
opportunity to experience the mutlistakholder participatory process of
the IGF and are becoming comfortable with the process of consultation.
This 'roundtable' equality is largely an IGF achievement. The IGF
process promotes trust in the functionality of the participatory
governance process and this will have other widespread impact.

[The Internet Governance Caucus proposes that the IGF Secretariat
introduce a mechanism to record and archive all sessions by text
transcript and collated audio visual records as a searchable research
resource, as also assign neutral personnel to prepare consensus/
stakeholder position reports on issues/sessions.] [Move this section to
No. 7? ]

     governance at lists.cpsr.org