[governance] Q7 "civil society" role in defending fundamentals

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 06:41:05 EDT 2009

Without arguing the merits of the case for including this under #7 (I think
without a huge amount of preparatory explanation this will come at the
reader as being from way in the outfield), it should be noted that Garth is
not "opposing" the definition from the original document but rather
suggesting an update on it based on evolving (technology and other)
circumstances... something, that in my opinion is quite legitimate either
here or elsewhere and particularly in a field evolving as rapidly as ours.

(I was giving my fifth annual version of an Introduction to Community
Informatics course last week here in Toronto and I realized that the minor
throw away sub-section that I had included in my first syllabus on "virtual
community networking" should now probably be taught in a course all on its
own on the more widely recognized "social networking"!)

Whatever the institutional biases of folks in their IR towers, the language
and substance of governance (Internet and otherwise) is evolving, perhaps
not at Internet speed (too many institutional barriers) but certainly at
dog's life speed.

MBG