[governance] Re: IGC questionnaire Q2 for review

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jul 13 05:28:18 EDT 2009

William Drake wrote:
> Hi Ginger,
>
> The secretariat's questionnaire and the Tunis mandate refer
> specifically to the WSIS principles on Internet governance, not the
> entire Geneva Declaration of Principles on information societies
> generally.
Not quite true Bill. The secretariat questionnaire hyperlinked ' WSIS
principles' to the Geneva Declaration. To make it further clearer the
current program sheet makes it clear that WSIS principles include DoP
(Geneva declaration of principles) principles. To quote the paper

"This session builds on the WSIS Principles, as contained in the Geneva
Declaration of Principles and the Tunis Agenda for the Information Society"

I have consistently opposed in the IGC a narrow self-determined
construction of the meaning of 'WSIS principles' as mentioned in para 72
of TA to the four process issues - multilateral, transparent, democratic
and multistakeholder -   that you mention. The present state of
discourse in MAG/ IGF validates this position that WSIS principles
basically means all of 'DoP plus' which includes the four principles
that you mention. In fact the compromise on the rights debate in the MAG
was that rights will now get discussed under 'WSIS principles' section
in IGF - 4. I consider it as a major step forward from a narrow
'process-oriented principles' approach that a a few in civil society
want to exclusively take to a broad ' substantive principles' approach
that was the real intent of TA and other WSIS documents.

parminder