[governance] IGC questionnaire Q1 for review

Ginger Paque gpaque at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 10:54:13 EDT 2009

Jeremy: So, lose those seven words...

Done. Here is the current Q1:

1. To what extent has the IGF addressed the mandate set out for it in
the Tunis Agenda?

Paragraph 72 of the Tunis Agenda, (a), asks the IGF to: Discuss public
policy issues related to key elements of Internet governance in order to
foster the sustainability, robustness, security, stability and
development of the Internet.

There can be no doubt that this discussion is beginning to take place.
So much so that the forum has been described as “all talk”. The
participation, the increasing quantity and quality of workshops, even
the controversies that arise, are proof that this discussion is taking
place. The continued interest in workshops is indication that this
process is still dynamically growing and needs to continue so that
discussions may cover all aspects of the debate and include all actors,
particularly areas such as rights, inclusion and others, which have not
been adequately addressed.

However, there is more work to be done on addressing certain of the
other paragraphs of the IGF's mandate that call for it to go beyond
discussion into action - for example, in effectively interfacing with
other international Internet governance institutions (para 72(b) and
(c)), in assessing their compliance with the WSIS process criteria (para
72(i)), and in formulating recommendations to them in appropriate cases
(para 72(g)).

The Tunis agenda also calls for "development of multi-stakeholder
processes at the national, regional… level" similar to the IGF. It is
heartening to note that some such national and regional processes are
already taking shape. IGF should further encourage such processes and
seek to establish formal relationships with these initiatives. Since the
fear of governmental domination is considerably higher at national
levels, IGF should use global civil society groups and processes to
guide appropriate multistakeholderisation of emerging national IGF
spaces. IGC again offers its assistance to the IGF in this regard.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org