[governance] How do ICANN's actions hurt the average Internet

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Jul 11 05:20:41 EDT 2009

In message <4A57E366.2B1B8A60 at ix.netcom.com>, at 17:57:10 on Fri, 10 Jul
2009, Jeffrey A. Williams <jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com> writes

>> That is poor network planning, there was no need for it, even then. But
>> international connectivity is not an ICANN issue (it might be an IGF
>> issue though).
>
>  I disagree.  The ASO and the ISP constituency, part of ICANN,
>is directly related to these sorts of issues.

The company making undersea cables is probably represented via the
Commercial and Business Users Constituency, but that's to discuss their
domain name registration, not the thickness of the copper.

>>Are you really wanting customers to  boycott suppliers who use
>>websites hosted with "weaker" DNS?
>
>Yes, our members do exactly so.

Can you point us to a list of your members, so we can see what kind of
entities they are?

>> As an "average Internet user" I have little practical choice between
>> using .com DNS or cctld DNS. That choice was made by the registrant
>> whose content I want to access.
>
>  DNS is DNS, how it is configured is a completely different matter.

Physical configuration is the main issue here.

>> That seems to be more about registrants, than the people George was
>> wanting to talk about: "the average Internet user".
>
>Registrants are users too.

But are a very small subset, and the objective was to discuss how ICANN
affects the *others*, who are "average users".

>Restricted trade that is not fully justified is legal harm.  Such harm
>impacts everyone.

I'm restricted from practising as a dentist (I haven't passed the
exams). Is that harming everyone?
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org