[governance] IGF Review Question 6 start

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 01:37:23 EDT 2009

Hello Jeanette Hofmann and All,

The phrasing is rather conversational, more in the nature of discussing this
with the Caucus at this stage. The phrasing definitely needs work when this
idea forms part of the statement from the Caucus to the IGF Secretariat.

Here is the logic. The scale of funding suggested for Panelists ( and for
participants ) appears to be sizable in terms of the actual physical, direct
outlay by the IGF Secretariat as expenses for organizing the IGF.  But $
700,000 or even a million or a little more is minuscule if we pause for a
while to assess and understand the true cost of the IGF. Calcuate the time
spent by 1,000 of the most active particiapnts in deliberations in
preparation of the IGF, in lists, in observing MAG meetings, in email
communications with fellow participants and the time that actually is spent
traveling to attending the IGF.  A hundered hours spent by everyone of the
1000 participants is a fair estimate ? Plus 150 hours travelling to and
attending the IGF.   For these 1000 participants alone, it is (100+150) X
1000 = 250,000 hours of time that be valued at at least $ 50 per hour,
considering the profiles and positions of most participants,  which amounts
to $ 12.5 million for 1000 participants spent invisibly. Calcuate the cost
of time of more active participants, for instance, those assigned to IGF
work by Governments, Business Corporations, the MAG members and the host
team, and their support personnel. That would be an equal or a larger sum.
Add to that the actual IGF outlays by the host, sponsors and the IGF
Secretariat. Add to the that the cost of sending and receiving email
messages like this, and the invisible cost of online space for discussing
IGF issues.

For most participants, especially for me, the "economic cost" ?  of an event
such as this would be a concept a bit too technical, but my guess is that if
we assign an economist to estimate the true cost of a year's IGF meeting, he
would place his estimates somewhere (way) above $ 100 million every year.

A hundred million is spent visibly or invisibly, but for want of a visible
and direct million, the quality of panels are compromised, the diversity of
participation is compromised. My suggestion for a $700,000 (unconditional)
fund was kept low at that level, for a start. I would consider even more
liberal budgets for panelists and participants as mariginal expenses that
would double or triple the quality of the IGF.

Thank you
Sivasubramanian Muthusamy