[governance] National Assembly NA body for transparent cyber laws

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 15:06:26 EDT 2009

This law has been under critic and a major crisis story in the region
since it originated in 2007. Yes, it depicted a new version of martial
law because it first came in the General President's regime back then.
Prevention of Electronic Crimes Ordinance (PECO) - Under this law it
is a crime in Pakistan to take photographs of someone without their
consent, also sending messages (email, sms etc) that can be considered
lewd and uncivilized shall be considered a crime which is punishable
by law and the person found guilty of this act can be punished with
seven (7) years imprisonment or Rs. 300,000 penalty or both.

If you search Dispute over Electronic Crimes Ordinance in Pakistan in
Google, you will find a lot of videos, concerns etc.

Title: Prevention of Electronic Crimes Ordinance, 2008 (Ordinance No.
IX of 2008)
Country: Pakistan
Entry into force: 2008
Language: English
Pakistan\'s Prevention of Electronic Crimes Ordinance came into force
on the 29 Septempber 2008. It makes provision for prevention of the
electronic crimes and extends to the whole of Pakistan. The Ordinance
shall apply to every person who commits an electronic offence
irrespective of his nationality or citizenship whatsoever or in any
place outside or inside Pakistan, having detrimental effect on the
security of Pakistan or its nationals or national harmony or any
property or any electronic system or data located in Pakistan or any
electronic system or data capable of being connected, sent to, used by
or with any electronic system in Pakistan.
links:
http://www.na.gov.pk/ordinances/prevention_electronic_crimes280108.pdf
http://www.fia.gov.pk/electronic_prevention_orde.pdf

This is the 2007 version:
http://www.pakistanlaw.com/electronic_prevention_ord.pdf
http://www.naseerahmad.com/2008/01/24/prevention-of-electronic-crimes-ordinance-pakistan-2007.html

In November last year, under the new regime, it was promulgated as the
Prevention of Electronic Crimes Ordinance, 2008 (Ordinance No. IX of
2008):
http://pklawyers.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/cyber-crimes-ordinance-2008/
http://www.app.com.pk/en_/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58277&Itemid=1
http://pklawyers.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/cyber-crimes-ordinance-2008/

Here are some interesting faces of this law:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26762898@N08/3358890495/

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Eric
Dierker<cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Please explain, perhaps why I am wrong.
>
> Enacted laws still have to operate within and under constitutional,
> procedural and court mandated protections of individual rights. I assume
> there is nothing in this law that says all of those safeguards are
> suspended. It sounds like you are saying there is a new martial law in place
> regarding computers. To my knowledge this is not the case.

Regards.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org