[governance] IGF Review Question 6 start

Sylvia Caras sylvia.caras at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 13:04:03 EDT 2009

I agree with the points in Ginger's post that started this thread, and
appreciate this beginning.

I'd emphasize live remote participation, and archiving for later access.

I agree that a Secretariat should be adequately funded.

I have concerns about funding beyond that.  The more central are
scholarships and funding, the more centralization, and I think the
less level the field.  I do realize one could make the same argument
of a non-level field about individuals and groups and countries that
can manage their own funding, but in my experience central funding
skews a gathering.

I'd rather lean towards 1) hosting meetings with 360 days notice so
that those of us with airline miles can try for awards and those who
need to be included in annual travel budgets for their groups can
apply, 2) hosting meetings at sites where there is airline competition
and routing choices so that airfares are lower, and 3) hosting
meetings at locations that are less costly (in the US, there are
retreat and conference centers that are less urban).  I've found
Geneva, Tunis, Athens, Rio sites remote, convenient accommodations
expensive, inexpensive food hard to find.  I've paid for these trips
myself and I'm not sure how many others self-pay - perhaps this isn't
representative.

Sylvia
     governance at lists.cpsr.org