[governance] How do ICANN's actions hurt the average Internet

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 14:36:31 EDT 2009

Hello George Sadowsky

The right question at the right time. The question is also so postively
raised.

Yes, it is strange that there is so much of misunderstanding about ICANN and
its role. And indeed the charges raised are non-specific.

ICANN does have a very important function in the management of critical
internet resources, but often mistaken to be the central and sometimes the
sole Internet Governance orgnaization and with this wrong perception,
sometimes ICANN is blamed for everything that is wrong with Internet. This
could be one reason why a section of the Internet users are quick to blame
ICANN.

The other possible reason why we find ICANN excessively criticized is
possibly due to an unseen political design. I hope that this question also
brings up a debate on the political dimension of such charges. Where does
such an anti-icann campaign originate from? What are the interests that
would like to see a weaker ICANN? Could there be a possible agenda and an
intent behind these adverse opinions? Could it be possible that even some of
the benevolent participants of the IG process are unwittingly drawn into
anti-icann sentiments by the unseen design? (suppliamentary questions, not
questions in place of your question)

Thank you
Sivasubramanian Muthusamy