[governance] IGC on its list

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 07:56:11 EDT 2009

Dear Bill and Karl

I really think it is time that once and for all we deal with the ICANN issue
and look at mechanisms to replace it with a representative, independent
body. We gone around n circles for years over this matter, but like a
tumour, we have to decide to have the courage to undergo srgery to remove it
or fool ourselves that it will not do much harm.

regards,

Rui

2009/7/5 William Drake <william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch>

> Hi,
> Skimming and deleting over morning coffee, a random thought occurs: is this
> still the listserv of the IGC?  It hasn't been obvious of late.  It's been
> quite awhile since there much traffic from people who are in the IGC
> discussing the sort of concerns for which we established the list seven
> years ago, and it's not like there are no live issues out there.  For
> example, do we not intend to submit a group statement on the IGF review by
> the July 15 deadline?  We had some preliminary discussion on this in May and
> people indicated a preference for some focused dialogue leading to a
> statement of more than a couple paragraphs outlining why the caucus favors
> renewal.  Given the rather variable inputs the UN and the IGF secretariat
> (for the Sharm synthesis paper) will be receiving from member governments,
> one would think this is an important thing to do.
>
> Comments on the review process so far are at
>
> http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/index.php/component/chronocontact/?chronoformname=FormalConsult032009ListView
> (Great URL, I love the website ;-)
>
> The questions we are asked to address are:
>
> 1. To what extent has the IGF addressed the mandate set out for it in the
> Tunis Agenda?
> 2. To what extent has the IGF embodied the WSIS principles?
> 3. What has the impact of the IGF been in direct or indirect terms? Has it
> impacted you or your stakeholder group/institution/government? Has it acted
> as a catalyst for change?
> 4. How effective are IGF processes in addressing the tasks set out for it,
> including the functioning of the Multistakeholder Advisory Group (MAG),
> Secretariat and open consultations?
> 5. Is it desirable to continue the IGF past its initial five-year mandate,
> and why/why not?
> 6. If the continuation of the Forum is recommended, what improvements would
> you suggest in terms of its working methods, functioning and processes?
> 7. Do you have any other comments?
>
> Surely we can manage answers to these in the next ten days, no?
>
> Best,
>
> Bill

> William J. Drake
> Senior Associate
> Centre for International Governance
> Graduate Institute of International and
>   Development Studies
> Geneva, Switzerland
> william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
> www.graduateinstitute.ch/cig/drake.html

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,
South Africa