[governance] FW: [IP] Shock threat to shut Skype

Joe Baptista baptista at publicroot.org
Fri Jul 31 22:37:04 EDT 2009

The way I see it skype will be replaced by something else if it's that
important. I think they are being silly. It's all about money.

As I skype user I can tell you they have been nice to us this last month.
all skype users got unlimited calls world wide to test out a service for
unlimited global calling for only 9.00 per month. Maybe thats their way of
saying good bye.

In any case - skype will be a loss. I rarely use it except for some people.
never use it for global calling. I like land lines. but it has been helpful
from time to time and i was considering even putting it on my blog.

regards
joe

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Carlton Samuels <
carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm> wrote:

> Michael:
> I agree.   Seems like a tall order to take private property and declare it
> public goods unless compensation is agreed. But that aside, but I can tell
> you losing Skype would have a severe impact on many communities of interest,
> especially several civil society ones, that I'm attached
>
> Carlton Samuels
>
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Michael Gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>>  Anyone agree with me that Skype, like medical care, is too essential a
>> service to be left to the market...
>>
>> I'm not sure what can be done about this but it seems to me that this (or
>> at least this class of issues) would be a suitable discussion topic for the
>>
>> How does one declare an Internet service as essential to the global
>> interest and introduce some means to ensure its survival?
>>
>> MBG

Joe Baptista

www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium
The future of the Internet is Open, Transparent, Inclusive, Representative &
Accountable to the Internet community @large.
 Office: +1 (360) 526-6077 (extension 052)
    Fax: +1 (509) 479-0084

Personal: www.joebaptista.wordpress.com