[governance] Of Interest: Congestion Management FAQ from Cox

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 08:36:54 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Andrea Glorioso
<andrea at digitalpolicy.it> wrote:
> On 1/28/09, Ralf Bendrath <bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>
>> Ginger Paque schrieb:
>> > This transparency is a positive step peripheral to the NN debate:
>>
>> It goes right to the heart, actually. While this transparency is nice, and
>> their approach to bandwidth management sounds very well-intended, this
>> announcement also means that Cox will look into the traffic of each
>> customer to determine which application is using the TCP stack ("deep
>> packet inspection" is the technical term).
>

> Well, to be fair, one can understand which application a particular
> packet "belongs to" simply by checking the TCP header (in particular,
> the destination ports which are usually fixed).
>
> I would have some problems defining "ipso facto" this a "deep packet
> inspection" , as this would imply that many useful applications on
> the Internet (including,  for example, transparent proxying, whether
> for the purpose of caching or not) become all at once "problematic".

Agreed, most packets are inspected en route to their destination, so
they CAN be routed.

While Cox does have the deep pockets to buy a DPI box (and they are
not cheap), it doesn't appear that they are doing this.

--
Cheers,

McTim
http://stateoftheinternetin.ug