[governance] IGF consultations - extending IGF's mandate

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 11:41:11 EST 2009

>From what I see here, the IGF is trying to get inputs from its
participants and as you see from the state of affairs from around the
world with governments changing all over the world from the US to
Thailand including us in South Asia, the process is in partial
collapse mode and the only substantial amount of input for the
continuation of the possibilities of the process will come from a
limited number of parties.

My country has been out of this process since the Earth Quake struck
us in Pakistan in 2005 and our delegation was unable to make it to the
WSIS in Tunisia and only us as a small CS group participated while
then Pakistan's Permanent Mission to the UN involving Ambassador Masud
Khan (I hope I am getting the name right) was Chairing the process.
After that, silence from our part of the world and even though I am
part of the working groups and catalyst on the Internet Governance
group for the Ministry of IT&Ts working groups on the redrafting
activity of the National IT Policy, not much has happened and as a CS
rep from Pakistan on IG I am free to state that the country has no
current stance on its position and recommendation to the process.

One thing has to be realized, this process is running in a superficial
and super imposed mode without having most of the key reps from the CS
groups that advocate and educate IG in their countries and face the
consequences of wrong policy making. Wearing different hats has never
been an answer and won't be. You will have to get in the real people.

As far as my personal opinion goes, I have diversified opinion on the
state of continuation of the IGF process. First the global financial
melt down has blocked great amounts of funding to the UN system and
the IGF is currently managed within that system. Unless some developed
country stands up and takes the initiative to house the IGF
secretariat and fund the process as an institutionalized system, its
not going to happen.

The second opinion is, that the UN will support this process
irrespective of inputs, there hasn't been record of any process on
similar lines (I mean sustainable development and not the internet in
particular) to have been dropped despite global recessions in the
past. My point of view on this informed and critical. I see the IGF
secretariat to receive funding and getting established.

I also see the IGF process to become more stronger and sustainable
addressing issues that the UNGAID process is failing to do so. I see
the IGF process to become more CS intensive as the hat changers start
falling out of line due to lack of funds and the longterm affects of
the global recession as program funding extensions from Multilateral
and Bilateral agencies continued to be reduced and in some cases,
completely diminished.

I might be in a position to say that I see the IGF process to be
continuing even if the IGF does not receive the possible support it
seeks to sustain itself in terms of institutionalization as well as
sustainable presence. If the UN system fails to support the process,
one of the developed nations will step in to continue their dominance
over the global Internet system and will continue a diplomatic
dialogue that doesn't affect their dominance but continues to control
other countries so that they may not dominate over its control as in
the case of the US Internet related interventions and China's
alternate Internet strategy. The world is evolving its own strategies
now and traditional diplomacy shall continue to evolve into new forms.

In my country, we are running independent of the IGF process. Our
survival is irrespective of the IGF because the local cyber law bills
have been passed openly in the country due to need and not following a
process like IGF due to the nature of issues at the national level.
The IGF holds no value for us anymore. It may be becoming the same for
other regions. We have to realize this, the grip on issues is just
deliberation and diplomatic interventions, the IGF is weak and more of
a discussion forum for possibility exploration. Doesn't work for most
of us from the developing world.

So friends realize our position within the IGF. Truth is hard to
accept always. Without us developing world people and issues, no one
would be debating these anyways and we aren't in it or
there.............. most of our earlier MAG contributors have failed
to produce anything constructive and useful............we know that.
Tourism and National Demands in light of the social economic
conditions cannot be fulfilled by corporate CS reps. I am making
recommendations on IG to my country, have you ever seen me in your IGF
meetings? Has the IGF process or associated entities ever supported us
to participate, I hope you have the answer. Think realistically.

--

Regards.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org