[governance] Re: What is Network Neutrality

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Wed Jan 14 11:44:15 EST 2009

Le 14 janv. 09 à 16:35, Ralf Bendrath a écrit :

>>> http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2007/06/what-do-we-mean-by-
>>> net-neutrality.html

>>> Just as telephone companies are not permitted to tell consumers
>> who they can call or what they can say, broadband carriers should
>> not be
>> allowed to use their market power to control activity online.
>> Today, the
>> neutrality of the Internet is at stake as the broadband carriers want
>> Congress's permission to determine what content gets to you first and
>> fastest. Put simply, this would fundamentally alter the openness
>> of the
>> Internet."
>
> This is at least misleading, because the telephone analogy does not
> hold
> here. Once a phone circuit is established, it is reserved for your
> call,
> while on the internet, you have congestion issues.

Any analogy is misleading, actually, but still helpful to figure out.
Obviously the telephone companies has been used here as an analogy
with the must carry obligation, rather than with the circuit
switching protocol. i.e. when I call you using my telephone company,
I don't expect them to manage in one way or another that the
communication couldn't be established, or is bad to the extent that I
give up calling you. Especially if my phone company reasons are that
it entered in a dispute with your own phone company, or it knows that
we'll be speaking English, and it has decided to prioritize say,
spanish language over its voice infrastructure, or whatever.
Want another analogy? Printed newspaper distribution. Big mainstream
media having vertically integrated their business activities, thus
owning the monopoly distributing business, and distributing their own
daily newspaper early morning while distributing alternative
independent daily newspaper with a one day delay. Isn't there also a
congestion issue here (number of employee for the distribution,
number of vehicles transporting newpapers, etc.)?

> So if my broadband
> carrier does QoS and sends my VoIP or streaming video over a faster
> pipe
> than my bittorrent or ftp traffic, I don't see it as a problem, and
> actually, a lot of networks do it.

QoS is not a matter of speed and bandwidth only, and is not
determined by the application. And QoS has always been there, far
previous any net neutrality discussion. Same applies to ISO layers..

> The key here is that such QoS (which always is /discrimination/ of
> some
> packets for the sake of speeding up others) should /at most/ be
> done on
> the basis of the /protocol/, but not in any case on the basis of the
> traffic source[1] or the actual content.
>
> Best, Ralf
>
> [1] Even here, it's a bit more tricky: If my ISP has different
> peering or
> interconnection agreements with different sources, the traffic
> coming from
>  different autonomous systems may be discriminated as a result.

It is the case, actually, and you can easily check this using tools
like visualroute (http://visualroute.visualware.com/). Try it with
ras.eu.org, zedat.fu-berlin.de, and itforchange.net, and you'll get
an idea of how traffic originating from a same node (Visualware, in
Ashburn, Virginia), is "discriminated" when trying to reach me, you
or Parminde. And the winner is.. Parminder:)

But the point is, roughly speaking, that different contents/
applications entering the same pipe of a given AS shouldn't be
discriminated by this AS because of its nature, and this should apply
to any AS on the internet route.

> I guess
> the point is that they should not use their market power to enter into
> /arbitrary/ interconnection agreements because some other network
> provider

Then we would have to define what is arbitrary and what is not, which
doesn't advance the discussion.

> also offers competing content etc. Again, the whole point is
> "competing",
> which leads to NN as non-exclusionary business deals.

What kind of competition? What is competition and what is not? VoIP
vs. mobile operators? IPTV vs. cable TV operators? you vs. me (or me
vs. you:))? Actually, anyone is competing with everyone needing to
share the same bandwidth, or rather the same internet, and there's
only one.. Back to it's publicness feature.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org