[governance] What is Network Neutrality

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jan 12 11:14:26 EST 2009

Lisa Horner schrieb:
> I know that Max Senges and others in the BoR coalition are working on
> “human readable icons” that could be displayed on websites to reassure
> users that they adhere to certain privacy standards.
FYI: This project has been take over by the privacy coalition, Max was
just the incubator.

> A similar concept
> might be relevant for certain “neutrality” standards?

In both cases, the problem is not the icons, but their meaning. It is more
complex than icons for creative commons, at least. But an idea to keep in
mind.

The problem, though, could be that if choice is not available or
governments impose differential treatment of different content, the icons
are of not much help for the user. So I would favour for our work here to
come up with our list of principles for the /best/ traffic treatment and
try to make it binding (or as an IGF recommendation) and not leave it
completely to the "market". If we manage to do that, maybe the icon for
adhering to these best principles could be given as a "seal" or so.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org