[governance] What is Network Neutrality

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Mon Jan 12 10:55:01 EST 2009

Le 12 janv. 09 à 15:15, McTim a écrit :

> Parminder,
>
>  And, consequently, it turns the basic
>> logic of the Internet on its head.
>
> no, it IS the basic logic of the Internet.  User types in a url, DNS
> resolves it, web page requested by browser, web page delivered over x
> networks.  making x a smaller number is good for everyone.

yes, definitely, provided that x is not only smaller for everyone but
also smaller for any web page accessed by the same person. Otherwise,
people will access only (or mainly) the content that is best (lest
costly) accessed.
Although this is entirely different from a technical point of view,
it's conceptually the same problem with google results appearing on
the first page vs. those appearing on the 30th page, with the same
query. Who would bother checking all 29 result pages before reaching
the potentially alternative views provided on the 30th page? Note
that this 30th page result is not only still technically reachable,
but also quickly and directly accessible if I decide, say, that as a
matter of principle I would always give some privilege to the results
appearing on the 30th page instead of relying on google search
algorithms. In case we want to make a better analogy, then we should
suppose that one can only access the 30th pages results after having
gone through the 29 previous pages. Who wouldn't give up far before
reaching the 30th page? (and actually, as studies have shown,
everyone does..).

> In your quest for some brand of egalitarianism, you have actually
> taken a deeply anti-development stance on this issue.

actually, you might yourself legitimize a "double penalty" for people
in developing countries: not only Internet access is more expensive
and cumbersome in general, but also, with such caching, there is less
capacity of choice between mainstream content (whose provider can
afford expensive caching systems in these countries) and alternative
content, even though provided by the NGO next to your door.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org