[governance] What is Network Neutrality: revised

Lisa Horner lisa at global-partners.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 06:42:36 EST 2009

Dear all

I’m just catching up on this interesting and important conversation.  Following on from Ginger’s comments, I was interested at the IGF to see gathering momentum around the notion of building an internet governance regime based on values and principles that are derived from human rights standards.  Hopefully the BoR coalition will move forward on this over the course of the year.  These discussions about net neutrality are very relevant, and I agree about the need for a short, powerful statement that could then be backed up by a longer argument/discussion.

As I see it, there are a number of values that I think a range of internet stakeholders would subscribe to.  In the FoE project we’ve distilled these down to:

- Accessibility

-Diversity and pluralism

- Participatory and transparent governance

-Openness, creativity and innovativeness.

To realise these values, we need policy principles.  Discriminatory access to content would clearly undermine a number of these values.  The policy principle that follows therefore might be: “Networks should be ‘neutral’ in the sense that the flow of content should not be subject to undue or arbitrary discrimination for monetary, cultural or political reasons.  Controls should not be embedded in networks themselves”.

I’d be interested in any thoughts that you have on this approach and wording.  Obviously, worded this way, the principle is still very broad and over arching, and the problem of what is meant by “arbitrary” and “undue” still arises.  But that problem is at least in part dealt with by reference back to human rights standards and the values that derive from them.   I wonder if the next step would be to create some kind of directory of scenarios that would explore what it would mean in practice for different stakeholders.  Parminder’s list might be the beginnings of that.

In reference to whether we should be using the term “net neutrality”, I think that it is messy and controversial.  The concept of “neutral” is also problematic, as arguing that policy should be rooted in values is in tension with the idea that policy or technology should be neutral.  However, I do think it’s still useful as a signpost term, as people automatically know what kinds of issues are being referred to.

All the best,

Lisa