[governance] NN | Let IGF separate Fact-&-Fiction from

Yehuda Katz yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Sat Jan 10 23:07:00 EST 2009

No offence taken Jeanette,
> I wouldn't want to live in a country that's run like a company

Nor would I, but you and I both live in an Industrialized Country (the First
World) and the reality is, The Industries of our Countries at some degree,
run/govern our national infrastructures on the ground and in our Capitals.
The past eight years of the Bush administration is an outstanding example of
how the Oil-Industrialist run the US and European Countries.
(Industrial Governance of the Oil-Commodity)

The contrast I found profound in this article was in its entire embodiment.

Here we find a complete circle of Industrialist journalism:
A 'CNet' article written about a CES (Consumer Electronics Show) event, wherein
the articles main characters (Intel Chairman Craig Barrett and Cisco Systems
CEO John Chambers) espouse the grand benefits of an Open Information Society,
and their Companies commitment to the third World.

A very slick piece of modern commercial journalism.

IMO | The contrasting-angles of this is the Industrialists peddling the idea
that 'Knowledge is the Answer to everything' that implys a Net Neutral Open
Information Society will improve life for those in developing countries. They
deliberately position it as if 'Knowledge is the new Gold Standard', and our
Companies are helping to deliver it.

I seem to recall IBM using the slogan: Knowledge is Power.

The "clever Marketing" in this spin is to 'commodities knowledge' as if it were
Gold, enticing underdeveloped Governments to desire and buy-into the
Industrialist program. Once subscribed, the Governments find themselves at the
mercy of their Industrialist Providers, thus an Industrial Governance of the
Knowledge-Commodity.

Ret.
Jeanette, I still have questions of my own;

"Is Knowledge the answer to everything?"

With regard to the knowledge found on the Internet:

"To what degree does 'Learning' become 'Entertainment'?"

"Can the Internet's Knowledge-content be made to be as desirable as Gold"
(will a Society take the higher road?)

"How will the IGF distill Marketing-Myths of Industrialist and truly Govern in
a manner that is beneficial to Society, in particularly third-world
communities."
-

I don't know.
Kind regards