[governance] What is Network Neutrality

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jan 10 11:00:13 EST 2009

Ralf,

Thanks for the clarification, what you say is clearer now.

>Don't confuse upstream and downstream.

No, I dont see them differently in terms of network neutrality (NN). NN applies to both. Neither do I see Obama's comment as specifically referring only to the 'downstream' part and Lessig's to the 'upstream' part. Obama's speaks of no special favour to any content - upstream or downstream; Lessig accepts favors if they are priced in a non-discriminatory manner, ie are available at the same price and conditions to all who are ready to pay.

>whoever rents a faster pipe can get faster upstream for his
>service, even based on different qualities (latency, jitter, pingback,
>maybe even number of hops, ...).

That is a violation of NN, as long as we are talking about transmission over the (public) Internet. A private IP based service - VPN - for transmitting some content from a provider to the ISP premises is a different matter though.

>We may see more price differentiation in the last mile market and a
>movement away from flat fees

As mentioned a few times earlier I do not consider access pricing (for the size of the pipe) as an NN issue. I am fine with non-flat, slab-based rates, and it is already so in India in most places.

> fuzzy terms like a "tiered internet" don't help clarifying
much, I am afraid.

The term two-tier Internet figures in Obama's pre-election technology policy document. I quote the whole part on NN. See especially " Barack Obama supports the basic principle that network providers should not be allowed to   charge fees to privilege the content or applications of some web sites and Internet applications over others."

Parminder

Quote from Obama's technology policy doc.

*Protect the Openness of the Internet:* A key reason the Internet has
been such a success is because it is the
most open network in history. It needs to stay that way. Barack Obama
strongly supports the principle of
network neutrality to preserve the benefits of open competition on the
Internet. Users must be free to access
content, to use applications, and to attach personal devices. They have
a right to receive accurate and honest
information about service plans. But these guarantees are not enough to
prevent network providers from
discriminating in ways that limit the freedom of expression on the
Internet. Because most Americans only have
a choice of only one or two broadband carriers, carriers are tempted to
impose a toll charge on content and
services, discriminating against websites that are unwilling to pay for
equal treatment. This could create a twotier
Internet in which websites with the best relationships with network
providers can get the fastest access to
consumers, while all competing websites remain in a slower lane. Such a
result would threaten innovation, the
open tradition and architecture of the Internet, and competition among
content and backbone providers. It would
also threaten the equality of speech through which the Internet has
begun to transform American political and
cultural discourse. Barack Obama supports the basic principle that
network providers should not be allowed to
charge fees to privilege the content or applications of some web sites
and Internet applications over others. This
principle will ensure that the new competitors, especially small or
non-profit speakers, have the same
opportunity as incumbents to innovate on the Internet and to reach large
audiences. Obama will protect the
Internet's traditional openness to innovation and creativity and ensure
that it remains a platform for free speech
and innovation that will benefit consumers and our democracy.