[governance] What is Network Neutrality

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jan 10 00:28:07 EST 2009

Ralf

I am very confused about your email, and so request some clarifications.

You seem to say that there is *no* (or little) difference between
positions of Obama and Lessig as shows from their recent statements that
I quoted.

" (no one) should be able to ...... charge different rates to different
Web sites" (Obama)

"network providers should be free to charge different rates for
different services long as the faster service at a higher price is
available to anyone willing to pay it."  (Lessig)

Arent the two manifestly opposing positions ? I may be missing something
here in which case pl enlighten me.

At another place in your email, however, you seem to agree that Obama
speaks against a tiered internet, but your position here is that this is
no longer a relevant issue.

 > This angle is pretty much over as far as I can see.

I state with all sincerity that if I can be persuaded that this angle -
of the possibility  of a tiered Internet - is 'pretty much over'  I will
leave this discussion, and save both the IGC's and my time. For
instance, can we have Milton, who seems to be on your side of the debate
at this point, say that  'this angle is pretty much over'. It will be
simple if it were over - we are all, in any case, against
anti-competitive practices, we are all for transparency, and we are all
against censorship. No dispute here. Problem solved.

But, why Lessig, a known social activist, and someone who is politically
quite astute, and rumored to have some political ambitions, will want to
publicly state this above position accepting a 'tiered Internet'  -
especially when his word seems to be valued by the incoming US
administration ??

Lessig wrote in 2006 "Net neutrality means simply that all like Internet
content must be treated alike and move at the same speed over the
network." (
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/07/AR2006060702108.html
). I cannot at all see how his 2006 position (also expressed in his 2006
testimony to FCC) is not different from his above 2008 position. Why do
you think he changed his position in this manner, when as you say 'this
angle is pretty much over...".

Simple, because 'this angle' (of a tiered Internet) is *now* even more in.

Parminder