[governance] What is Network Neutrality

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri Jan 9 15:32:46 EST 2009

I'd like to explore Lee's definition in the context of Ginger's call for us
to define our field -

Can we agree that network neutrality be defined for our purposes as open and
universal Internet access, as Lee suggests? We might have to refine that a
little.....maybe "the debate around open and universal Internet access,
often known as the net neutrality debate"

Or,

Can we move forward in the context of IGF to suggest inclusion of "net
neutrality, specifically where it addresses questions of open and universal
access" - or something similar?

Or "open and universal access" as the theme, including relevant NN debates?

Ian Peter

PS Just as others have done I would suggest separating pricing debates
altogether from this discussion. In Australia volume based plans have been
around for years, I am sure other countries do so as well. It's not quite a
global issue and its not an NN issue

     governance at lists.cpsr.org