[governance] What is Network Neutrality

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jan 7 22:38:23 EST 2009

Milton

 >you have framed these options poorly.

McTim has been very helpful in forwarding an article which has a senior
professor and commentator in this area framing the options almost
exactly as I did. However, if is doesnt suit your idealogical taste, I
can hardly help it.

>Define better what you mean by different "quality and speed" in Option
1. Does it mean that a telecom can't sell me DSL because someone else
can only afford dial up? If> not, how is the effect of such economic
differentiation any different than nondiscriminatory offerings of faster
treatment?

You know very well the difference between charging differently for
levels of access (pipe size, but without discriminating among different
content) and charging for different speed and quality of relay of some
content over other. Milton, do you seriously believe that the two things
are the same, or even similar. The structural impact of the latter on
the Internet will be devastatingly different from merely costing access
differently, as happens already. And you know it very well.

>  Does Option 2 mean Akamai becomes an  illegal business? (do you know
what Akamai does?) Does it mean that edge caching becomes illegal? if
no, how is the effect > different from what you purport to oppose?

If a content provider is free to put his servers anywhere, the same can
also be done through a third party. That is very different. Any such
private service to enhance content in any way is just a outsourced
private service. (Though the regulators will need to watch all such
activities - especially of the systemic variety - closely to see where
the line is crossed.) But anyone involved with the 'publicness' of the
Internet, like a common carrier, should not provide such discriminatory
services.   That should be the condition that the 'collective ownership
of the Internet' imposes on anyone who wants to use / leverage the
'public Internet'. Else the concerend telecom company can in any case
use IP or any other technology for a 'private network' that can do
whatever (within a different, less intrusive regulatory regime, if
required, dealing with private networks).

>please don't impose your own egalitarian fantasies on the internet.
imposed equality has nothing to do with what the internet is, what it
was, or what made it successful.

'imposed equality'! Well, everything 'rights' is in a way an 'imposed
equality', isnt it. And the IGC has been adopting statements on rights
based approach to IG. Citizenship is also 'imposed equality'. If we dont
impose any equality at all dont know where the world will be. In fact
'imposed equality' also sounds like something of a 'social contract',
which is an interesting idea and concept to explore. Since we mostly
agree that the Internet underpins a new global social order (the
information society) with new political basis and requirements, is there
to be a 'social contract' vis a vis the Internet!

Parminder