[governance] What is Network Neutrality - was; a very grounded and divergent perspective on Net Neutrality

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Jan 6 07:52:20 EST 2009

Steve

Thanks for supporting the 'publicness of the Internet' advocacy plank.
One of the fliers of your save-our-internet campaign captures it just
right - 'they may own the networks, but the Internet is /ours/'.

I agree that it is a crucial and a difficult time for global public
interest advocates interested in 'saving the Internet' in its original
open, public and egalitarian conception. For this purpose we need to be
strategic in our advocacy plans and make all necessary alliances. It is
for this reason that I mentioned in my original email in this thread
that though I/ we have some problems with the way the term Network
Neutrality is being used by many, it is still one of the most
appropriate 'umbrella' for us to to be working under.

However, after the recent Wall Street Journal article attracted our
attention towards important nuances (though, as will be argued, they are
hardly 'nuances') in the network neutrality (NN) debates and advocacy,
we think that greater conceptual clarity on 'what is NN' is required
before we can move forward in this area.. Lawrence Lessig, who is
credited with co-inventing the term NN, sees NN as something that many
others do not see NN as. I surfed the net on this issue a bit in the
last few days and I am quite sure that an overwhelming number of people
who support NN, and are rather passionate about it, are supporting
something which is very different from what some leaders of NN movement
(like Lessig) seem to be (now?) fighting for. In the circumstances,
people need to know what they are supporting before they support it.
This will foreclose what increasingly looks to me to be an impending
eventuality - some leaders of the campaign coming back and reporting -
we have won NN (for you!), and a celebration goes around, when what they
would have gotten would still be enough to kill the Internet.

Which is why, since you lead an important NN campaign in Canada -
save-our-internet - (and from what I have read about this campaign it
appears to me that it, unlike the US's save-the-internet campaign, is
much clearer about what it wants) I wonder if you can help clarify which
one of the following two situations meet your criterion of NN, and
whether the two are not considerably different positions for people who
are NN followers and foot-soldiers to be clear about what is what.

Option 1. Telecoms are constrained from doing any ad-hoc and
discriminatory interferences with traffic based on their business
interests and arrangements with different providers of content and
applications. However, this does not mean that they may not charge
content providers differently for quality and speed for transmitting
their content, as long as this special treatment is available to all for
the same price and conditions.

Option 2. Telecoms are absolutely barred from charging content providers
for any special treatment of their content, i.e. we do not have a tiered
Internet, with different quality and speed of delivery of content as per
different charges.

It is my view that the situation described in the option 1 above while
very important, is relatively easy to ensure. (I do agree that we still
need to fight for getting even this level of fairness.) However, casting
NN advocacy and struggle narrowly in these terms, in my view, may turn
out to be even more dangerous that having no advocacy around NN, because
it deludes most people who seem to think that they are fighting for a
really equal, non-tiered, Internet when they join the NN  brigade.  In
the end - as has been the experience of many an advocacy campaigns - it
is likely that this confusion on what exactly is NN, and what different
groups may be seeking and may be against, is most likely to damage the
interests of those who have certain ideas about what Internet was meant
to be, what it should be and what it can be, in terms of its potential
for equity and social justice, or even as a democratic media and a
'public sphere' etc.

While I agree on being strategic in joining forces on this key issue, I
think greater clarity on the NN concept, and more discussion among civil
society actors on what are we fighting for, and to what avail, including
if needed building scenarios, is very important at this stage.

Thanks, and best regards. Parminder