AW: [governance] Cities and Internet Governance

Dirk Krischenowski | dotBERLIN krischenowski at dotberlin.de
Tue Feb 24 15:51:45 EST 2009

Izumi,

you are right. For instance the case Washington Mutual (god may bless the
company which was going bankrupt late 2008) and the city of Washington. But
should you prohibit using geo names for this reason?

We have the geo name panel and this is a progress for any government and the
Internet community, I guess. Since money is involved and needs to be
involved (the applicant has to present a viable business plan) in most new
TLDs (otherwise no one would care about them) a global audience is having a
look on every single TLD application. If there is a minimal doubt that a
string would infringe someone's rights, there will be a posting and alarm on
this. In today's world nearly nothing is hidden, even the most rural place
name on earth. I would trust this "institution" more than any other one in
the world.

Best regards,

Dirk

2008 bancruptcy