[governance] Cities and Internet Governance

David Goldstein goldstein_david at yahoo.com.au
Tue Feb 24 07:06:54 EST 2009

Some people make lots of money out of domain names, but there are many existing small registries that don't and "run on the smell of an oily rag".

For a list dedicated to international internet governance issues there is a strong focus on people making lots of money and big business.

Some people/organisations will propose establishing a community gTLD (city, region, cause) for a modest return. Some will want to make lots of money. There will be several differing models with differing aims.

It's rather obvious the domain name industry will grow significantly in size in coming years. More registrations, even without new TLDs, will mean this is so. And this takes into account declining prices, mostly, for registering domain names. Who would have thought otherwise?

There are around 1.5 billion people online now with a total world population of around 6.75 billion. The former is growing much faster than the latter. It's not rocket science that the domain name industry, and number of domain names registered, will grow dramtically.

David