[governance] Cities and Internet Governance

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 22:24:41 EST 2009

Hello Olivier,

On 2/24/09, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com> wrote:

>  Thomas Lowenhaupt wrote:
>

> With the ICANN having deemed cities eligible to develop TLDs, and with
> cities such as Barcelona, Berlin, New York, and Paris lining up for TLDs,
> it's time to consider the place and impact city-TLDs will have on Internet
> governance.
>

> IMHO place and city TLD will have as much impact on Internet Governance as
> the style of the US President's limousine will have on US politics. ie.
> none.

Agreed, with the caveat below.

> The .us CCTLD was available for a very long time, structured with geographic
> locations leading to addresses of the type example.new-york.ny.us and do we
> see an huge upsurge in those addresses? No.
>

> Sadly, the organisations and individuals pushing for those types of
> addresses may well be, in my opinion, kidding themselves about the impact
> and importance of such addresses.

As has been pointed out to me off list, the IG issue here is offensive
and defensive registrations.  These namespaces are just more places
where folk who want to protect their brands will have to spend time
and money to register the domain they already have.  The people on
this list advocating for these spaces have high ideals, but, in the
end, domaining is a billion $/Euro industry.

--
Cheers,

McTim
http://stateoftheinternetin.ug