[governance] Cities and Internet Governance

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 07:54:34 EST 2009

On 2/23/09, Karl E. Peters <kpeters at tldainc.org> wrote:
>     Even little things like what happens if Rome, Georgia gets .rome and
> someone in Italy cries foul? Are we going to have a TLD level UDRP and
> REALLY foul things up? It seems the only way to protect against that is to
> give cities a SLD under their respective ccTLDs and in some cases, a
> tertiary LD under their state or provincial SLD. Otherwise, just in the USA
> alone, how many Greenvilles will be contending for the ONE corresponding TLD
> and what rules would determine the right to it?
>     This is, at least, a slippery slope!!!

Agreed

Thomas Lowenhaupt <toml at communisphere.com> wrote:
> Where are we today? In June 2008 the developers of the Barcelona, Berlin,
> New York, and Paris TLDs met in Paris to discuss cooperation between
> city-TLDs and participation in Internet governance processes. Last week a
> coalition of cities presented ICANN with a Notice of Intent to create a
> constituency within the GNSO. This is an appropriate first step, and within
> this newly developing sphere one begins to see an emergence of an engaged
> user community that will strongly influence governance of the Internet.
>

> There's lots more work to be done here, and we would appreciate and benefit
> from the thoughts of those on this list.

This is also a slippery slope. Are we to have constituencies from
every imaginable category of TLD?  There could be thousands
(eventually).

City TLD folks are currently not limited in their "participation in
Internet governance processes".  I don't see why they need a platform
from which to do it now.

--
Cheers,

McTim