[governance] Feb 23-24 Geneva

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Thu Feb 19 15:27:39 EST 2009

Hi,

On Feb 18, 2009, at 9:39 AM, Ian Peter wrote:

> What I would suggest having talked to a few people is -
>
> Evening of 22nd those of us who are in town should try to meet
> informally,
> perhaps over dinner? Perhaps meeting near Gare du Cornavin or
> somewhere
> central we can all get to easily. Those who know Geneva better than
> I do
> might have a good suggestion.

Ian if you can organize the group (including those who expressed
interest off line) and get a head count by Sunday morning I can make
suggestions and a reservation.  It being Sunday, some restos will be
closed, so some indication of preferences would help.

> 23rd lunchtime is a GAID meeting which some of our key people will
> need to
> attend. Those not involved if we care to could again meet and caucus
> then.

I do hope folks interested in development issues will opt to
participate; information sent earlier today.

> Best time for a more formal meeting appears to be lunchtime on Tuesday
> (24th). I suggest we all try to set that aside and look at some
> longer term
> issues.
>
> Does that suit as a general plan?

Works for me.  Two other quick points;

*If anyone is planning on being in Geneva tomorrow Friday and was
hoping to go take care of badging and such, you might want to
reconsider.  There will be about 20,000 Sikhs from across Europe
marching and protesting in the area between the train station and the
Palais, and UN staff are being told to leave for the day at noon.
There was a self-immolation in the Place des Nations last week so
there could be a heavy military presence with streets shut etc.

*Just in case anyone hasn't noticed this on the IGF site, the
consultation will be in the ITU, not at the Palais per normal.  ITU
has its own security procedures so you have to check in there at the
box shaped Montbrillant building, and your ITU badge probably will not
get you into the UN proper.

Best,

Bill
     governance at lists.cpsr.org