[governance] RE: Statement to the February OC: the way forward

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Feb 15 01:13:45 EST 2009

>The concept of "rights" continues to stress the importance of openness and

>universal access. This framework will continue to emphasize the significant

>themes of access to knowledge and development,  while adding the important

>issues of basic user rights and control to access, content and applications

>of their choice, in keeping with current international debates [and relevant aspects of the often confusing network neutrality discussions]

Ian

Alternatively we can say "..... in keeping with current international
debates regarding an 'open Internet' [and relevant aspects of the often
confusing network neutrality discussions].

As Lee mentioned no one seems to have objection to use of the term 'open
Internet'. This term makes the issues under consideration more specific
than just speaking about 'openness' theme, which has been around in the
IGF for a few years and is interpreted rather flexibly. My concern is
that when globally some specific issues in the area of 'open Internet'
are hot, and some key decisions likely to be taken, w emake sure that
the IGF does devotes some central space in its agenda to this issue.
parminder